Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pole Position

About once a year I win the parking spot on Beacon Hill that is the closest to my apartment. I live at the corner of Myrtle and Grove Streets. Myrtle Street has parking only for the stretch of the street that ends right outside my apartment. Directly across from my apartment door is actually marked no parking to leave room for fire trucks to turn off the street.

About 100 feet from my door is the first parking spot highest on Myrtle. I parked there this morning. I call it "pole position." I may never move the car again, is what I always think. When I do next get behind the wheel, which is likely Wednesday morning after an upcoming short trip to Florida, I drive knowing pole position may not be mine again, at least not for another year or so.

Pole position
Myrtle Street
Beacon Hill, Boston
February 26, 2011

No comments: