Saturday, April 14, 2012

Running to Be a Delegate to the Democratic National Convention

I am running to become a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. Four male delegates and four female delegates are selected from each congressional district in Massachusetts, according to the newly drawn congressional district lines. I live in the new district 8, represented by Congressman Lynch, and to become a delegate, I need to be selected at the district caucus, which is scheduled for Saturday, April 21, at 10 a.m. at East Middle School, 305 River Street, in Braintree.

Any Democrat living in Congressman Lynch's newly drawn district is eligible to come to the caucus and vote, and I humbly ask for your support.

As a delegate, I would bring an important perspective to the national delegation. I am not an elected official, and I do not work for the public sector. I have spent the past nearly 15 years working for innovative private companies---many of them spawned from ideas created by students at Massachusetts colleges and universities. I have worked directly with the founders and CEOs of these companies, providing guidance as to the best way to shape their messages and earn visibility for their technologies.

Along the way and especially over the past four years, I have seen the important role government plays in how these companies grow, prosper and contribute to the economy. Simply put, for a period of time during the middle of the Great Recession, the government's role was vital. My experiences can help shape the dialogue within the party, given that this Presidential campaign features an ongoing national discussion about the role of government in our lives.

When I am not helping entrepreneurs and promoting their ideas, I am helping Democratic causes. This past Tuesday, I was re-elected the Secretary of the Boston Ward 5 Democratic Committee. During my first term, I met dozens of dedicated community organizers and passionate citizens. They believe, like I do, that getting involved in local civics is pivotal to the vibrancy of our communities and the future of our country. Like me, many of them volunteer to support the candidates and campaigns they believe best represent their values.

I am very proud of the Democratic causes I have worked for and the candidates I have supported. This past November, I spent election day on the streets of Jamaica Plain here in Boston (and within Congressman Lynch's new district) making the case that City Councilor Ayanna Pressley should be re-elected.

In 2009, I organized my neighborhood for Mayor Tom Menino during his most recent re-election campaign and believe he is doing a great job for the city.

I have also volunteered for City Councilor John Connolly, who is the hardest working politician I have ever met, Governor Deval Patrick, President Barack Obama, State Representative Marty Walz, Sheriff Andrea Cabral and State Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz, among others.

What I like the most about working in local civic politics is talking to my neighbors, who I find are often quite candid about what bothers them. As someone who lives near them, it's nice to be able to help them and to better understand what they like and don't like about what's happening in their neighborhoods.

I believe passionately that the combination of experiences in my life---the energy that comes from helping shape messages and programs that bring new innovations to life in the private sector, and the first-hand accounts provided by those I meet while supporting Democratic causes---would make me an excellent delegate to the DNC. And I ask for your vote and your support.


No comments: