Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Salinas, California

I am wrapping up a long trip tonight for work that took me to Orlando, Florida last week and San Jose/ San Francisco this week. I had a chance this past weekend to catch up with my good high-school friend Adam and his wife Suzie. They live in Salinas, which is about an hour south of San Jose.

Adam and Suzie Gavalla and me
Frog & Peach Bar
San Luis Obisbo, California
June 14, 2008

On Saturday, June 14, we went to Hearst Castle, which is two hours south of Salinas. The castle was built by William R. Hearst of newspaper fame. After the trip to the castle, we went into San Luis Obisbo (Slo-town, as the locals call it) for dinner.

Adam and Suzie are doing great. No surprise. Adam has been talking about living in California since I met him in 1990.

Also during my trip to Salinas, I met an amazing man, Mags, or Mac. He's the father of one of Suzie's friends. He's 101.


Mac has amazing genes, and I was honored to meet him and talk to him. He emigrated to the United States in the 1920s, as part of a program offered by the U.S. government that awarded Filipinos dual citizenship if they agreed to serve in the U.S. military. It was great to see him light up when he spoke to people. I will never forget that.

1 comment:

kate said...

I love seeing the pictures of Adam and Suzie! What fun. Wish I could have been there.