Friday, December 24, 2010

Random Rome Fun Facts

Back in the U.S. after a quick jaunt through Italy, first to Rome and then Florence. Here are some random observations.

-- "Hunter" is in syndication in Rome. Yes, I mean the old cop show that I watched in the late 1980s and early 1990s. But when I watched the show then, it was *already* in syndication. Now it's moved to Italy? It was on each morning at 8:45 a.m. on the infamous channel 5. I wonder if Fred Dreyer (who plays Hunter on the show) got to approve the voice that serves as his Italian dub? I wonder if he even knows the show is on each day?

-- I really think that Rome is so old that its history conflicts with itself. I mean, take the Pantheon. The building was finished sometime after 100 AD (as in the second century). It was built to be a temple to all the Roman gods, but somehow it has turned into a Catholic church.

-- The city is very old. It's hard to keep perspective on how old certain things really are. I mean, someone tells you the Colosseum was in use for four hundred years, and you think, "That's all?" Today we gripe when a stadium is a couple decades old.


No comments: