Saturday, December 04, 2010

Nude Photo or Grope?

Last week I got on an airplane for the first time since early October. I do travel quite a bit, but a flight to visit my brother Brett and his wife on turkey day was my first time dealing with new, strict airport security measures.

I thought I was going to have a choice when entering the security line. Option one would be the nude photo-- passing through a body scanner. Option two, if I declined the nude photo, would be to subject myself to a fairly aggressive "pat down."

To my disappointment, most people are not given the choice. The majority of travelers simply go through the metal detector that's always been at the airport. The choice of the nude photo or grope is given only to a select group of travelers identified for additional screening.

By the time I got to the airport, I wanted the additional screening. I had spent the previous week trying to decide if I wanted the nude photo or the grope. Luckily, I was selected.

I decided to go for the nude photo. Except I neglected to take my wallet out of my back pocket. I guess this is a no-no, for the TSA officer soon told me he "had to inspect the area...," meaning the area where my wallet was. Next thing I knew, the agent had his hand on my rear.

So for all my fretting about the nude photo or grope, I ultimately got both. Not a bad Thanksgiving surprise.

P.S. I am traveling again this afternoon. We shall see.

No comments: