Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fall is the season for 5K runs. The weather is nice... not too hot... and very amateur runners like me can hit the roads to raise money for causes.

Yesterday, I ran the first of two 5K courses over which I will be sweating this season. The Mission Hill Road Race, which starts and finishes at Kevin Fitzgerald park in Boston, is a fun community oriented run. The course is not easy, though. True to its namesake, the Mission*Hill* Road Race has no less than three hills, and two steep downhills. Clearly, what I enjoy about the run is the strong community feel.

At the event were City Councilor Mike Ross and City Council President Maureen Feeney, Councilor Michael Flaherty, and State Rep Jeffrey Sanchez. Also in attendance John Connolly, who is running for City Council and has my support : )

I was pretty happy with my time. It's a full two minutes better than when I finished two years ago. Though I did tell Councilor Ross I would beat him and came up short.

Next up for me is the Welles Crowther 5K, the Red Bandanna Run, which is held at Boston College. It benefits the trust created by friends of 9/11 hero Welles Crowther, who was tragically killed in the twin towers but only after saving many. (According to those he saved, Welles wore a Red Bandana while ushering those to safetly.) The run is scheduled for October 20.

No comments: