Sunday, August 14, 2011

This is an Old Photo

Domenico and Margaretta (Lucy) Tedeschi
Somewhere in Italy
Sometime between 1900 and 1910

The young lady in the photo above is my great-grandmother. My dad's dad's mom. She's in Italy (allegedly) standing next to her younger brother. They had yet to travel to America, where she would meet my great-grandfather, Melchiore Levanto, and would settle in the city of Norwich, Conn.

I remember my great grandmother. We called her "Nana" (with a soft a). She was a very bad driver, and I remember her son, my grandfather, who sold insurance, was often coming to her aid after an accident.

The photo above, however, definitely struck me. I wonder what she was thinking. I wonder what she would say today if she looked back over my life and the lives of my brothers, my dad and my dad's family.

I snapped with my iPhone the picture of the photo above last week at the Levanto annual family reunion. I am happy I went.

No comments: