Saturday, April 09, 2011

Recycling Front and Center at the Boston City Council

This Thursday, April 14, a Boston City Council committee is hosting a hearing on recycling in Boston. Specifically, City Councilor Mike Ross is interested in adding a day of recycling to current citywide programs, which typically involve one day of recycling in each neighborhood.

Councilor Matt O'Mally chairs the Committee on Environment & Health, which will conduct the hearing, scheduled for 12:30 p.m. on the 14th in the Iannella Chambers at City Hall.

I plan to attend the hearing and will provide the committee with my thoughts. The timing of the hearing is ideal for me, as I have been working with the Beacon Hill Civic Association (BHCA) to investigate the current state of trash and recycling pick up on Beacon Hill. The BHCA is right now conducting a survey of its younger residents on their trash and recycling tendencies, as those residents would be affected significantly by changes in trash pick up policies. It's just part of the research we are conducting.

I have had quite a blast with the BHCA research project, which I hope to conclude during the summer with recommendations to the BHCA's City Services Committee. And I plan to give a high-level review of what I have found so far during the committee meeting Thursday. Much more to come on this blog, too.

No comments: