Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Denver: A Retrospect

Pepsi Center
Denver, Colo.
August 26, 2008
You can't help but leave a political convention optimistic about the world. That's certainly how I felt when I left Denver two weeks ago. And when you think about it, it makes sense. The delegates and their guests at the Democratic Convention were overflowing with energy, and their passion was contagious. You couldn't help but get caught up in it. Some memorable moments for me:
  • Waiting in the bathroom line at Invesco Field with the Mayor of Hammond, Indiana. I remember he being on TV the night of the Indiana primary, within the last county still to deliver results.
  • Riding the elevator with Spike Lee at 3 a.m. I gave him his space.
  • Visiting every souvenir stand on 16th street in search of the infamous Obama Sculley cap. Unfortunately, Ramon and I could not find one for his dad.
  • Being able to walk up to any dinner table in any restaurant and simply introduce yourself from Massachusetts, instantly starting a conversation about the state of the world.
  • Seeing how happy Denver was. I wondered if Boston seemed that way in 2004. I hope so.
Being there, you believed Senator Obama when he noted how something is happening in America. After all, thousands had waited for hours to see him speak.
By the way, when I returned to Boston, I watched Senator Obama's speech again via Comcast HD On Demand. Those of you who saw it on TV got a pretty good show, too. : )

No comments: